I recently watched a video created by Denise Duffield-Thomas at LuckyBitch.com (Yup, she swears in her business name before we’ve even got started haha) asking the question:
Should you swear in your business or is it super unprofessional?
This topic came up in conversation with somebody that I work with as an accountability buddy and we discussed one of her competitors. This person “effs & jeffs” a hundred times a day and to my client, it gives her belief that people who don’t like the swearing might buy into her much more instead as a result.
Personally, within my home life, I am known to swear like a trooper – but this is my personal life and if I can’t be “me” then I’d be a true lie.
But, when it comes to my blog and my business, I wouldn’t write with lots of swear words – I want to be seen as a calm and professional person in business to gain the respect of my clients for being eloquent and caring.
If I swore like I do behind close doors with my best friends, I really don’t think I’d be as approachable in business and this is why I choose not to.
I’m not saying that swearing makes you any less professional in what you do, but does it change the perception your clients or potential clients might have of you?
Watch this video created by Denise and decide for yourself:
Do you think it’s unprofessional to swear in business?
Do you do it yourself?
Does it affect the clients you do (or don’t) gain?
I’d love to hear from you either in a comment or via social media – links below!
#INSTAGRAMBINGO is coming to Cambridge – sign up to mailing list to keep in the loop!
Need help or fancy a chat?
We can work together to help you better understand social media :
- Learn how to connect with potential clients/customers/fans/readers
- Boost your business through blogging or social media
- Learn how to connect through Twitter #Hashtag chats & networks
- Personalised audit of blog/website/social media account & realtime feedback/solutions
- Creation of content & ideas plan to carry out after your session
- Blog or social media account management
- Continued interactive support through www.StirUpMedia.com